: Paharpur is a small village 5 km. west of
Jamalganj in the greater Rajshahi district where the
remains of the most important and the largest known
monastery south of the Himalayas has been excavated.
This 7th century archaeological find covers approximately
an area of 27acres of land. The entire establishment,
occupying a quadrangular court, measuring more than
900 ft. externally on each side, has high enclosure-
walls about 16 ft. in thickness and from 12 ft. to
15 ft. height. With elaborate gateway complex on the
north, there are 45 cells on the north and 44 in each
of the other three sides with a total number of 177
rooms. The architecture of the pyramidal cruciform
temple is profoundly influenced by those of South-East
Asia, especially Myanmar and Java.
A small site-Museum built in 1956-57 houses the representative
collection of objects recovered from the area.The
excavated findings have also been preserved at theVarendra
Research Museum at Rajshahi.The antiquities of the
museum include terracotta plaques, images of different
gods and goddesses, potteries, coins, inscriptions,
ornamental bricks and other minor clay objects.
Sona Mosque : One of the most graceful monument
of the Sultanate period is the Chhota Sona Masjid
or Small Golden Mosque at Gaur in Rajshahi Built by
one Wali Muhammad during the reign of Sultan Alauddin
Husain Shah (1493-1519). Originally it was roofed
over with 15 gold-gilded domes including the 3 Chauchala
domes in the middle row, from which it derives its
Research Museum : Situated at Rajshahi, this
museum has a rich collection of objects of Mohenjodaro
and also of 16th to 19th century A.D. This is devoted
to the study of ancient history and culture. Its rich
collections contain interesting objects of past Hindu,
Buddhist and Muslim heritage. It is located at the
heart of Rajshahi town and maintarned by Rajshahi
University authority. The year of its formal establishment
is 1910 A.D. Admission is free.
: Puthia has the largest number of historically
important Hindu structures in Bangladesh. The most
amazing of the village''s monuments is the Govinda
Temple, which was erected between 1823 and 1895 by
one of the maharanis of the Puthia estate. It''s a
large square structure crowned by a set of miniature
ornamental towers. It''s covered by incredibly intricate
designs in terracotta depicting scenes from Hindu
epics, which give it the appearance of having been
draped by a huge red oriental carpet.
The ornate Siva Temple is an imposing and excellent
example of the five-spire Hindu style of temple architecture
common in northern India. The ornate temple has three
tapering tiers topped by four spires. It''s decorated
with stone carvings and sculptural works which unfortunately
were disfigured during the War of Liberation. The
village''s 16-century Jagannath Temple is one of the
finest examples of a hut-shaped temple: measuring
only 5m (16ft) on each side, it features a single
tapering tower which rises to a height of 10m (33ft).
Its western facade is adorned with terracotta panels
of geometric design.
Puthia is 23km (14mi) east of Rajshahi and 16km (10mi)
west of Natore. Catch a bus from either town. Puthia
is 1km (6mi) south of the highway.